Password protection (access restriction) allows you to specify a list
of usernames and passwords, which must be provided in order to access
to certain areas of your web site. For example, you might password-protect
a "clients" directory, making it accessible only to important clients.
Password Protection Using Webby
Use Webby, FastVirtual's online web editor, to restrict access to areas
of your web site:
Note: Microsoft FrontPage users should not use
- Access Webby from your account control panel.
- Select the directory you wish to password-protect and click on
the "lock" icon at the top of the screen.
- Choose "Password access restriction" as the access restriction type.
- Choose "Manage users and groups" and specify the usernames and passwords.
For further information, please see the Webby
Password Protection Using FrontPage
To restrict access using Microsoft FrontPage, the directory you want
to protect must first be converted to a subweb. To do this simply right-click
the directory from FrontPage Explorer, and select "Convert to Web". Then
follow these steps:
- Make sure that you are connected to the Internet before opening
FrontPage. Open the subweb you want to protect in FrontPage. This should
be the subweb on your live web at FastVirtual, not your
- Go to the Tools menu, select "Server", "Permissions" (FrontPage
2002/2003), or "Security", "Permissions" (earlier versions). Enter your account
username and password when prompted and the FrontPage Administration
interface will open in your browser.
- Click "change permissions", select "Use unique permissions for the
web site" and click "Submit" to apply your changes.
- Click "Change anonymous access settings" and change from "On" to
"Off". Click "Submit" to apply your changes. Now the only person permitted
to access your web is you, with your main account username and password.
You now need to add users.
- To add your authorized users, select "Manage users".
Click "Add user" and enter a username and password for your user. Select
an access level and click "Add user" to apply your changes. Repeat this
process for all the users you wish to add.
Any visitors to your web will be prompted for authentication. Only
those users you have listed will be permitted access.